Majors, Minors, and Certificates

A major is a program of study in a particular subject area. All students must declare a major to graduate. You may minor in most fields in which you have an interest, but you do not need a minor to graduate. Minors are between 12-18 credits, and you can declare up to 2 minors.

Check the Hunter College Catalog to compare major requirements, look up course descriptions, and more.

Types of degrees

  • Bachelor of Arts (BA)
  • Bachelor of Science (BS)
  • Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)
  • Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)
  • Bachelor of Music (BMus)
  • Combined/Accelerated degrees (BA/MA, BS/MS)

Combined/Accelerated degrees are designed for highly motivated students to begin graduate study before completing their undergraduate degrees, allowing the student to graduate with both Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. Each program has its own set of requirements.


In addition to the Majors and Minors, Hunter offers the following dual degree, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate, and Undergraduate Certificates:

Bachelor of Arts – BA

Bachelor of Arts/Master of Arts – BA/MA

Bachelor of Arts/Master of Science – BA/MS

Bachelor of Fine Arts – BFA

Bachelor of Music – BMus

Bachelor of Science – BS

Bachelor of Social Work- BSW

Bachelor’s Degrees


No data was found matching the search criteria or an error occurred.


Bachelor of Science/Master of Science (BS/MS)

No data was found matching the search criteria or an error occurred.