Declare a Major or Minor

All Hunter College undergraduates must declare a major. To earn a baccalaureate, you need to pursue and complete an approved major as part of the requirements for the degree, and at least one-half of your major credits must be completed in residence at Hunter College.

When to declare your major

All matriculated students must declare a major before completing 60 credits. Transfer students entering with 60 credits or more must declare their major by the census date in their first semester which can be found in the academic calendar.

How to declare your major

  1. Satisfy prerequisite requirements determined by the academic program. Check with your intended department.
  2. Print out Major Declaration Form or Minor Declaration Form, or pick one up (located in the One Stop Office, Room 217 of the North Building). You may also ask your advisor for help with the form.
  3. After completing the form, bring it and a copy of your transcript to an advisor or the major/minor department. If you are declaring a major in elementary education, you must seek approval from the School of Education.
  4. After your form has been signed and stamped, submit the form to the One Stop office, Room 217, located in the North Building.

Some requirements:

Remember, a major may demand a minimum grade-point average (GPA) higher than the 2.0 required of all Hunter undergraduates to remain in good academic standing. Students who do not earn the minimum GPA required by a major may not be accepted into that major, may be dismissed from that major, or may not be certified for graduation with that major.

If you receive Federal and/or State financial aid awards, you must declare your major and minor before completing 60 credits. Failure to comply will result in a hold on the academic record and registration.