Start or Register a Club
Applying to Become a New Club
Hunter College student governments charter over 100 clubs each year. There is probably one, or several, for you. If not, apply to start a new club to break new ground and create a lasting legacy.
Important Points to Remember When Applying:
- New clubs must apply before they register.
- The governing bodies are highly selective when chartering new clubs. They are reluctant to charter clubs whose mission is similar in nature to an existing club. If you choose to apply to charter a new club please make sure that you have a clear mission and you demonstrate how this club will benefit the students of Hunter College.
- The Office of Student Activities will not register sports clubs, military or semi-military clubs, clubs that violate policies, guidelines, rules and laws, or any club whose activities pose a significant risk to students.
- Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Club Cap – USG has instituted a cap on the number of clubs that they will charter this year at 100. Registration for undergraduate clubs will end when they reach 100 or the deadline of September 22; whichever comes first. This does not apply to graduate clubs and publications.
- Club Name Policy – When referring to your club, organization or publication in advertisements and official documents, please use your official club name and refrain from preceding your club name with “Hunter” or “Hunter College.”
The Office of Student Activities and Leadership Development is responsible for registering over 100 student clubs, organizations and publications each year. All student groups must register before they are chartered by their governing body. All new clubs must apply and be accepted by the governing body before registration.
In accordance with CUNY Board of Trustee Bylaws: Article XV “any group of students may form an organization, association, club or chapter…*”
To establish charter, a student group must have a minimum of 10 currently registered students, including an executive board (president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer).
All officers must meet minimum requirements:
- G.P.A. – 2.0 (Undergraduate) 3.0 (Graduate) G.P.A. must be earned at Hunter College.
- Credits – 6.0 (Undergraduate) 3.0 (Graduate)
- Complete Sexual Assault and Alcohol training
- Club membership and club events are open to all currently registered students.
All meetings must be publicized in advance and opened to the public. This includes committee and subcommittee meetings. Meeting minutes and votes must be recorded and maintained. All organization events must be operated by the student organization and be for the benefit of currently enrolled students.