Welcome Admitted Students!

Accepted Students FAQ

Congratulations on your acceptance to Hunter. We know this can be a pretty stressful time in your life, so we’ve gathered some of the most Frequently Asked Questions that we receive from newly admitted students. If we’ve missed something, don’t hesitate to reach out to us by emailing admissions@hunter.cuny.edu. Go HAWKS!
I’ve deposited, now what? Congrats, you are officially a Hawk! Approximately 2-3 days after you deposit, you’ll receive access to your Admitted Student Portal (starting in April). You’ll use this account to take various enrollment steps such as register for orientation. Share you Hunter pride on social by using #headed2hunter.
I’m a transfer student, when will my credits be evaluated? You’ll receive a transfer credit evaluation approximately 3 weeks after you deposit to Hunter. We’ll send you an email once it’s ready and your credits will appear in your CUNYfirst account.
I’m a freshman, but have College credit (AP, College Now, IB, CLEP etc.). What do I do? Visit our page for freshmen and you’ll see an explanation of how to submit all of your exam scores.
If you took College Now at CUNY, we’ll see that and automatically add your credit to your evaluation. If you took College classes while in high school outside of CUNY, please be sure to send us your transcript electronically, at admissions@hunter.cuny.edu.
Some of my credits are still showing as "in progress" or “CIP” on my credit evaluation. How do I update that?“CIP” on your record simply means that your final grades were not on your transcript when it was evaluated. We need an updated official transcript from your previous institution. Please ask your previous school to send an official transcript directly to admissions@hunter.cuny.edu.
Please note that it could take until September or October for “CIP” grades to be updated in CUNYFirst, but don't worry, “CIP” will not affect your registration for classes
I’m stuck, I’m not sure what to do next. Who can help me? Of course! Reach out to your admissions counselor at www.hunter.cuny.edu/admissions/meetus. Or you can live chat us during business hours: http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/admissions/chat-with-us (click on Staff at the top)
Will the Fall semester be in-person? Following CUNY guidance, Hunter College is hoping for our Fall schedule to increase the opportunities for as many students as possible to come back to campus in some capacity. Hunter College’s goal is to have the majority of our classes partially in person (i.e., hybrid) for the Fall 2021 semester. We want to keep you, our faculty, and staff as safe as possible, so please look out for additional updates. For more information please see CUNY’s message regarding the Fall 2021.

When does Fall 2021 semester start?The Fall 2021 academic calendar and many important academic dates can be found on the Hunter College website.
I was accepted for Fall 2021, but my CUNYfirst changed to Summer 2021. Why?As a new Hunter Hawk, you have the option to register for summer coursework and start early. You are certainly not required to do this; it is just an option. More information will be provided by your academic advisor when you meet after completing the steps of your Admitted Student Portal.
Will housing be open for the Fall semester? Yes! We will have housing open in some capacity for the Fall semester. Be sure to apply here as space is limited: http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/livingathunter
I applied to a specific major, why did it change to "Undeclared"? When can I declare my major?Once you meet with an academic advisor you will be instructed on how to declare your major with the academic department.
Do I need to take a math placement test?Visit the Testing Center Website.
How do I check my financial aid status?Go to CUNYfirst, and navigate to your Student Center page. On the left hand side you will see a Finances tab. Under this is a View Financial Aid option. Click on Hunter, and it should give you all of the details about your financial aid package.
How can I submit documents securely?(document examples: NYS State Residency Application, Proof of Citizenship, Change of Name/Address/Social Security)
Step 1 – Fill out the Change of Name, Address and Social Security Number form or the NY State Residency form.
Step 2 – Follow instructions provided by CUNY on how to upload the form and the proof to CUNYfirst.
Step 3 – Alert documents@hunter.cuny.edu that documents have been submitted (include your first name, last name, CUNYfirst ID#, and date of birth in the email).
How do I submit documents requested from the financial aid office or health services office?Students can upload documents through CUNYfirst. Please click here for instructions.
I have to submit my immunization records. Where can I do that?Please visit the Health Services website for instructions on how to submit your immunization records.
Am I required to get a COVID vaccine to start classes?Since Hunter College is a CUNY school, the directive about required vaccinations are provided by the New York state. At this time CUNY is working on guidelines for students and staff. Once the guidelines are available, Hunter College will communicate with newly admitted students via email.
I am a transfer student. When can I meet with an academic advisor?Your academic advisor will be assigned 5-6 business days after your transfer credit evaluation is completed and if you have completed all of the steps on your Admitted Student Portal (starting in April). All appointments will be made through the Navigate app right in your Admitted Student Portal.
I am a freshmen student. When can I meet with an academic advisor and register for classes?You will be able to register for your virtual First Year Learning Community advising session once you have completed all of the steps on your Admitted Student Portal.
I am an international student. How do I apply for the I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status)?Step 1 - Please send a PDF of your acceptance letter to the International Students Office.
Step 2 - Review the International Students Office website for more information.
How do I defer my admission to another semester?To defer your admission, please accept our offer of admission in CUNYfirst, submit a deposit to reserve your seat (if required), and wait for the Admitted Student Portal. You will be able to defer in the Admitted Student Portal (starting in April).
How do I get my Hunter student ID?As a newly admitted student, you can get a Hunter ID card 24 hours AFTER you register for classes. Note: you must be registered for classes in order to get an ID card. To schedule an appointment for your ID card, visit www.hunter.cuny.edu/IDcard 24 hours after you register for classes.