Hunter Core Requirement
We created the Hunter Core Requirement (HCR) to enhance your intellectual development and propel you toward your success goals as a liberal arts college graduate. HCR is divided into the following four categories. You will need to complete all four to graduate, regardless of your major.
CUNY Common Core
Every student in the CUNY system must complete the CUNY Common Core set of general education requirements. As a Hunter College student, you are required to take one or more classes from each of the nine categories below. Some courses may fulfill both the “Pluralism and Diversity” and “Writing Intensive” requirements.
- English Composition (2 courses)
- Math and Quantitative Reasoning (1 course)
- Life and Physical Science (1 course)
- Scientific World (1 course)
- Creative Expression (1 course)
- US Experience in its Diversity (1 course)
- World Cultures (1 course)
- Humanities (1 course)
- Social Science (1 course)
Second Degree Student Exemptions
If you currently hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution, you are exempt from the Hunter Core Requirement (HCR).
Transfer students with an AA/AS degree from an accredited institution who have matriculated since Fall 2013 are exempt from CUNY Core requirements as well.
Where to go for help
Seek help from an advisor to determine if the Hunter College Common Core requirements are right for you.
To get the most from your advising appointment, you can prepare by doing the following beforehand:
- Print out a list of courses you have taken.
- Make a list of classes you would be interested in taking. Check the course descriptions section of the catalog for pre-requisites and other requirements for those particular classes.
- Peruse the Schedule of Courses on CUNYfirst to see the course offerings for the next semester.
- Put together a list of questions you have for your advisor.
Make an appointment to see your faculty or general academic advisor today!